Salicylic Acid Peel
Salicylic Acid Peel
What is a Salicylic Acid Peel?
Salicylic Acid, a Beta-Hydroxy Acid (BHA), is a highly effective superficial peeling agent, oil reducer and pore cleanser. Salicylic acid is one of the most effective ingredients to combat oily skin, yet it is also a gentle rejuvenating peel that is an alternative to a Glycolic Acid Peel.
A Salicylic Acid Peel takes just minutes. No anesthesia is required. Following treatment, the skin may lightly peel for three to five days. A Salicylic Acid Peel is also known as a Beta Lift Peel.
Benefits of Salicylic Acid Peels
Salicylic acid is ideal for oily/acneic skin, clogged pores and seborrheic dermatitis. At a concentration of 10 to 30 %, salicylic acid peels have a much higher level of concentration than drugstore salicylic acne creams, which are typically at 1 to 5%. At a high concentration level (30%), salicylic acid acts as a peeling agent dissolving the top layer of the epidermis and resurfacing the skin, resulting in a smoother and healthier complexion.
A Salicylic Acid Peel is also beneficial for dehydrated/dry and sensitive skin, sun damaged, dull and uneven skin. And it helps reduce acne inflammation, psoriasis, ingrown hairs, wrinkles and fine lines while improving texture and clarity.
More benefits of a Salicylic acid peel:
- Acne: Salicylic acid is a keratolytic agent, which means it helps to soften and break down keratin, a protein found in the skin. This can help to unclog pores and reduce the appearance of acne.
- Blackheads: Salicylic acid can help to dissolve the accumulation of oil and dead skin cells that can lead to the formation of blackheads.
- Whiteheads: Salicylic acid can help to unclog pores and reduce the appearance of whiteheads.
- Fine lines and wrinkles: Salicylic acid can help to stimulate collagen production, which can improve the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Sun damage: Salicylic acid can help to improve the appearance of sun-damaged skin by promoting the shedding of dead skin cells and encouraging the growth of new, healthy skin cells.
- Uneven skin tone: Salicylic acid can help to even out the skin tone by promoting the shedding of dead skin cells and encouraging the growth of new, healthy skin cells.
Salicylic Acid Peel is Great for Acne
Over the counter Salicylic acid peel products are low concentrations and are usually masks, face washes, creams, or serums. These have a mild exfoliation effect and can help mild acne, but they’re nothing like a chemical peel here at Contour Dermatology.
Salicylic peels are stronger and involve deeper layers of the skin than what these at home products can do.
If you get a peel, our estheticians will make a skin care plan that lasts about 2 to 4 weeks.
Sarecycline is an antibiotic approved by the FDA for patients 9 years of age and older. It targets Cutibacterium acnes with an anti-inflammatory formula.
Leyah Toland joined Contour Dermatology as a receptionist. She answers phone calls, helps patients schedule their appointments with medical providers.